Contract Law for Business Executives
|Accreditation:||CPD - Continuing Professional Development|
|Duration:||Four days, 28 hours|
|Intake Dates:||Throughout the year*|
|Timetables:||Click here for timetables|
|Tuition Fees:||Click here for prices|
|For Frequently Asked Questions||Click here|
This contract law course will enable executives to communicate and operate more effectively in the International business environment by improving their ability to read, understand and manage international contracts drafted in English.
Using a systematic and pragmatic approach, the course will improve delegates’ ability to decipher contractual and general legal jargon in international contracts. It will also enable delegates to understand the basic tenets of English contract law and the general principles of law which underpin international contracts. Delegates will be able to see how all of this applies to the way that contracts are interpreted and drafted, as well as to comprehend how contractual liability is constructed and interpreted.
With a small number of participants, this contract law short course is highly participative and will provide delegates with the opportunity to engage in interactive learning with the course tutor as well as each other through practical exercises, which will combine contractual theory with practice and develop each delegate’s communication skills. There will also be a focus on delegates’ own contracts and work in progress throughout the course.
By the end of the contract law classes, delegates should be able to:
- Understand and interpret the purpose of common clauses found in international contracts;
- Understand the legal principles which underpin such clauses and explain their purpose to others;
- Understand their way around an international contract by increasing their understanding of contractual structure, as well as understanding the legal purpose, meaning and application of standard clauses;
- Manage contracts more effectively by deciphering contractual and general legal jargon;
- Understand and apply the basic principles of contract law to a variety of common business situations and to their own work.
- First principles of English contract and commercial law: what these principles are and how they can affect contracts and common business situations.
- Basic principles of liability under English law: how liability is constructed and interpreted by the courts, as well as how it can be mitigated for business purposes.
- Key terms in international contracts: their meaning, use and application to standard contract types as well as delegates’ own contracts.
- Contract structure: the major parts of an international contract, their particular purposes and uses in international businesses.
- Contract clauses and sample agreements: typical types of international contracts; “boilerplate” clauses such as governing law, jurisdiction and arbitration; and “operative” clauses like terms, conditions, warranties and guarantees.
**This course is planned to run throghout the year. However, it is subject to student demand. For more information, speak to one of our advisors on: +44 (0) 20 3435 4644.